Assemblies for Democracy first raised the call for a Citizens-led Convention on the Constitution at Re-imagine democracy: towards a Citizens Convention on the Constitution on 14 November 2015
Here are some other demands for a new Constitution and citizen-led assemblies:
- Democratic Audit UK: A citizens’ convention for UK democracy is more necessary with every passing day – Many democratic societies have benefited from establishing conventions of citizens chosen at random to deliberate on major constitutional questions. Now is the time for the UK to have its own citizens’ convention, argue Graham Allen and Andrew Blick, to rebuild and renew our fractured representative democracy.
- Brexit: Public Consultation: Written question – HL3923 – To ask Her Majesty’s Government whether they intend to provide funding for citizens’ assemblies on Brexit to consider the public’s views on the nature of the UK’s future relationship with the EU; and if not, why not by Baroness Armstrong of Hill Top 6 December 2017
- Democratic Socialism: Why the Left should demand a new Constitution by Dan Hind and Dr W. Elliot Bulmer – openDemocracy 15 August 2017
- Why our 21st century democracy needs the spirit of 1647
Michael Mansfield – Guardian 2 December 2016
- Why Britain needs a written constitution by Anthony Barnett – the Guardian 30 November 2016
- Gordon Brown Proposes UK People’s Constitutional Convention – extracts from Gordon Brown’s speech to the Fabian Society, delivered 3 November 2016
- The constitutional role of the Supreme Court in the context of devolution in the UK, Lord Rodger Memorial Lecture 2016 – Lord Neuberger, President of the Supreme Court 14 October 2016
- Time for a citizens’ convention on the constitution – letter to the Guardian signed by Neal Lawson Chair of Compass; Anthony Barnett Founder, openDemocracy; Natalie Bennett Leader, Green Party of England and Wales; Alexandra Runswick Director, Unlock Democracy; Michael Mansfield QC; Michael Sheen Actor; Klina Jordan Facilitator, Make Votes Matter; Stuart White Fellow in politics, Jesus College, Oxford; Nick Dearden Director, Global Justice Now; Corinna Lotz, Assemblies for Democracy – Published 2 July 2016
- Towards a citizens’ constitutional convention – Paul Feldman openDemocracy 3 May 2016
- The UK Constitutional Settlement and the Role of the UK Supreme Court – Lord Neuberger 10 October 2014
Please email email@example.com to include more.