Margaret Owen introduced the Working Group – see YouTube video below
- Women’s National Commission, a coalition of women’s organisations, was abolished by Con-Lib coalition: removed mechanism for women’s voices, now have government equality office.
- How can we hold government to what they promised in the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action?
- Cuts disproportionately affecting women: Legal Aid cuts, domestic violence, cuts to EMA women in education, benefit cuts.
- Domestic violence, prostitution, trafficking
- Women’s voices in every area
- Laws are there, the problem is enforcement! How do you simplify rights to explain it to people?
- Lack of promotion of rights and gender equality among children
- Using the media and education
- Hustings- human rights
- Positive developments in schools
- Using social media to engage with younger women
- Community campaigning and activism – connect with schools/families
- Inform Civil Society
- Community ideas: informing people (social media, updating online), financial resources, restoring activism, workshops.
Why are women in trouble?
- Neoliberal ideology
- Multinational companies controlling governments
- Threats: cuts to services affecting women and human rights coming to a standstill
- Community campaigning and activism, financial support, restoring activism in civil society